almost 2 years ago
There are just four weeks remaining in the FireDrone.AI Hackathon! Submissions are due July 31 before 11:45pm PDT.
Start your submission now
Starting a submission is a good way to make sure that your app meets the requirements. There’s nothing worse than getting to the deadline, only to realize that you’re missing a key component. Remember: once you submit a project, you can keep editing it as needed at any time prior to the submission deadline. Need a primer on how the submission form works? Head over to our submission form tutorial.
Prepare your video
We know as devs you’re expertise lies in building the software - so keep building! - however, the submission video needs time too! It's often the first (and sometimes only!) thing that judges review.
Your video tells the story behind your submission, providing a clear to showcase your software and talent in a video:
- Establish your elevator pitch. In the first few seconds of your video, explain how your software solution uses Microsoft Azure Machine Learning or Microsoft Azure Cognitive Services and enables drones to detect urban fires.
- Within 60 seconds, viewers tend to lose interest, so use this time wisely to keep them engaged!
- Show, don't tell. Providing real life context and showing users firsthand how you're going to make the world a better place through your solution will help judges and voters understand and appreciate your product design.
- Keep it simple. Per the official rules, your video shouldn't be longer than five minutes.
- Don't wait until the last minute to upload your video. Due to file size, format, and your Internet connection, uploading a video to YouTube, Vimeo, or Youku could take anywhere from a few minutes to several hours.
- Get organized. Write out a script of what you’ll say and demonstrate in your video and rehearse it before recording. Essentially a good script should talk about:
- The problem that your potential customers face
- Existing solutions to the problem
- The solution that your software provides
- How the software provides it
If you have any questions about the hackathon, please post on the discussion forum.